Mold likes to make its way around homes by traveling across painted walls, drywall, the ceiling, and wooden cabinets. With older houses, mold will also grow on wooden window sills as well as in basements. Another spot is in the shower, especially in the tile grout. This mold can be green, brown, or even black, and just so you are aware, black mold can affect your health as well as carrying an awful smell. You should definitely be on the lookout for all types of mold growing in your home.
SHOULD I DIY IT TO GET RID OF MOLD SPORES OR HIRE A PROFESSIONAL?
We do not recommend handling mold by yourself. Hiring a professional mold remediation service is the only way to ensure maximum safety, and it’s generally much more cost-effective to hire a professional right away, rather than waiting for the infestation to grow. TMG Companies is a professional cleaning service specializing in emergency restoration for homes in Connecticut.
Can I Bleach Mold or Is That a Myth?
Bleach can actually make mold damage worse. In fact, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) recommends you do not utilize bleach to fight mold unless the circumstance is a unique one involving application by a professional.
Does Vinegar Kill Mold?
The answer is yes, vinegar is often used to successfully get rid of mold, and this how we recommend getting rid of mold in your home.
5 Steps to kill the mold:
1. Plastic spray bottles. Get one.
2. Once you have an empty spray bottle, fill it with some white distilled vinegar.
3. Proceed to spray the areas visibly infected with mold, and then leave it applied for around an hour or so as the mild acidity breaks down the spores.
4. Next, use a rag or paper towel to scrub down the mold, which should wipe away.
5. Apply some water to finish clearing off all substances. After drying, the smell of the vinegar will go away.
If you’ve followed these 5 simple steps, you may have successfully gotten rid of mold in your home. Of course, if problems persist or you’re worried there is still mold hidden out of plain sight, get in touch with TMG Companies to handle the complete remediation.